Friday, April 29, 2022

Don't Look Now, by Daphne Du Maurier - A Short Story!

About a week ago a regular customer recommend I watch the 1970’s film “Don’t Look Now”. After a little research I found it was based on a short story by one of my favourite authors, Daphne Du Maurier, and of course, I had to read it first! I had been warned that reading it would spoil the ending. But oh boy, it definitely did not ruin it. 

Daphne beautifully sets the scene and characters in an instant. A sceptical husband and his anxious, grieving wife on holiday in Venice. They are there to recover some semblance of a normal relationship after losing their daughter. There is subtle humour in the way Du Maurier describes the old familiar feel of the relationship, and later when she shows the husbands shortening of temper as the holiday is gradually ruined by a couple of clairvoyant Scots. Seemingly without effort Du Maurier creates tension and weaves important little details into this intriguing tale of 50 short pages. I was paying close attention to detail, having been sold the story on the promise of a whopper of a plot twist but I was still left stunned.

No, I’m not going to give it away! You have to read it for yourself.


- Anara


Hardback, £14.99. Find it in the short stories & poetry section!


No comments:

Post a Comment