Friday, May 6, 2022

5 Lessons I've Learned from Book Characters | Sian



Us bookworms think of the characters in the stories we read as friends. Don't deny it! They have an influence on us just as much as flesh and blood in the real world. And ever since I joined the book-thumping army in my childhood, I feel like I've been gathering pearls of wisdom from them, and carrying them around in my heart like the books in my bag. They have guided me, soothed me, and given me direction. Some of them for decades (I'm now old enough to say that - gross!) and some for a few months. But when I stop to think about it, these characters have given me such clarity at difficult and powerful times in my life. Here they are...

(Please note how tatty all of these books are from how many times I've read them!)

1. Noahandjude, I'll Give you the Sun, by Jandy Nelson. Aged 24.
"Dream! Create!"

They're twins, and they see themselves as one entity; one soul split apart. It's moving to see them grow and see themselves as individuals. But this isn't even their most powerful message. Noah and Jude are artists. And their art is their voice; their breath; their energy; their light. It moves them and teaches them and is them. And as a writer, it is so powerful to see two young, unencumbered artists just doing it. The way they see the world through their prismatic, artistic eyes is just incredible. It reminds me that the world is my muse and my canvas.


2. Amal, Does my Head Look Big in This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah. Aged 12.
"Listen, and you'll understand."

Amal is a second generation Muslim living in Australia. She wears hijab full time, went to a culturally diverse middle school before her conservative grammar school, and all of her friends are from somewhere that isn't Australia. Being white and having a British family, this story offered me the most enlightening insight into the lives of those whose race, religion, and culture is used to oppress them. Amal has taken her whole life to understand the nuances of being classed as an "Other," and even she has her hang-ups in this world! But she just keeps listening. And learning to make allowances alongside her as a teenager truly changed my view of the world and the people around me.


3. Hazel Grace Lancaster, The Fault in our Stars, by John Green. Aged 20.
"Don't hold yourself back; keep moving."

This character is famously based on a real teenager, Esther Grace Earl, who sadly passed away of cancer in August 2010.  With Hazel's diagnosis of lung cancer, she has every reason in the world to give up. But she just... doesn't? She has passions, and connections, and hopes, and... a life. A good life, all things considered. And she doesn't deny it! And for an early 20-something who worried about the future so much, Hazel breezed through me as a reminder to stop sweating the small stuff. To put energy where it will count. I'll always be grateful for this one.


4. Liz, Elsewhere, by Gabrielle Zevin. Aged 12.
"You're allowed to stop grieving."

Elsewhere is set in the afterlife; a very unique and bubbly take on where we go when we pass away. Liz finds herself there unexpectedly, when she's murdered in a hit-and-run. Having never turned 16, she is adamant that she has been wronged, and deserves better, and therefore can stop. I suppose, on reflection, she's the other side of Hazel's coin. Watching Liz grieve for her loss, come to terms with change, and begin to thrive to the best of her ability was less about a change of mindset, and more about letting go. Letting go of her vices, letting go of her argument with the world, and letting go of her grief. It's impressive, and I admire her to this day.


5. Molly Weasley, Harry Potter. Aged 18... I know! So late!
"To protect the ones you love, is an act of rebellion."

She has always been my favourite character, from the moment I met her in King's Cross Station. Because as soon as she shows up, Harry is safe. I mean, everyone in Molly's presence is safe, but it's Harry we worry for the most. Molly puts protective charms around her home; she always has food to be eaten, and beds to be slept in. She gives advice, and makes a fuss, and she only shouts because she loves you so very darn much! And when the world falls into a state of war? This doesn't change for a millisecond. She stands her ground, shares her morals, protects the ones on the front line. And she doesn't even blink. She is my hero, and no matter who wrote her, she belongs to ME now!



No comments:

Post a Comment