Friday, September 24, 2021

Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott

For some reason I have always felt a bit intimidated by the classics. But since it was written for young girls, it's a really accessible read. It’s tender and cosy, the language is lovely, and the girls are even lovelier. I mean, I’m sure most of you have probably read this one before, but if you’ve been umm-ing and arr-ing about embarking on the classics, like I did, this is a smashing place to start.

The four sisters – Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy – are each a precious little story in themselves. So perfectly different and alike. They make up a pretty band of creative, loving, passionate young souls, and bring such a fresh perspective to one another.

Even though some are more dramatic than others, there’s no one plot point in this book that stands out to me the most. What stands out to me is how completely human the emotionally charged and instinctive decisions the characters make; the way that they fight adversity. And I think that’s what I needed reminding of when I embarked on reading the classics for the first time: that no matter how different their language, their dresses, or their hygiene, they’re just stories about people.

And I so relate to each of them. Take Jo and her deeply emotional responses. Or Amy’s goal to be helpful to everyone. Beth is always so keen to see people happy. And Amy… well, I’d hate to admit to any similarities I have with Amy!

This book was a lovely experience, and I felt giddy the whole time I was reading it. I must say, after using audio books for my university reading of the classics that, if you can read a physical copy, do it! It feels extra special.

 - Sian





Paperback, £6.99 - multiple editions available. Find this in the Classics section!


An extra note to the reader: the British and American editions are different! The American version is Little Women and Good Wives in one book – us Brits are stingy and only have the first part. I got the British version, so expect a Part Two once my copy of “Good Wives” comes in!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment