Friday, November 18, 2022

Not Exactly What I Had in Mind, by Kate Brook

When reading this book, you will get to know Hazel, a hugely relatable character for anyone single in their 30s. Her story will have you laughing with her; wanting to hug her and, at some points, wanting to scream at her that she can’t see what is right there in front of her! But most of all, due to the beautiful way that Kate Brook has portrayed her lead character, you will find yourself just wanting to meet Hazel for a coffee and talk days away like she’s your best friend.

Along with Hazel, you meet one of her housemates, Alfie, and Hazel’s sister and her wife. This delightful blend of characters are all on their own journeys, and it’s fascinating to see them intertwine throughout the story. Between the four of them they manage to navigate themselves into and out of situations that are portrayed by the author very gently and honestly, exposing some of the challenges of modern relationships, as well as the sheer joy that can be found in them!

While reading this book, I thought I knew where the story was heading, but as soon as I settled into the ebb and flow of it all, along came a plot twist to head it in a different direction (‘well... that wasn’t what I had in mind’ ... I kept saying to myself!)

Some quite challenging subjects are taken on in this book: sexuality, fertility issues, abusive relationships, modern family set ups, and the financial burden that is adulthood. Each of these topics is addressed in a very real, honest, and careful way, sprinkling over them the right amount of humour to capture the journey of the characters in a way that you can’t help but love them. 

The blurb on the back of the book says it is ‘painfully relatable’ and I can’t tell you how true this is. It is a real eyeopener to adulthood in 2022 and I think I would struggle to find anyone in their 20s, 30s, or 40s who couldn’t relate to an element in this book.

I absolutely devoured this book in a matter of days, and I have now begun the grieving process that you go through when you read a great book and you start to miss it. Missing the characters, wishing the story was real, and wanting to read it all over again just so you can remain in Hazel’s world for a little bit longer.  

I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did!


- Nicola



Hardback, £14.99. Find it in the fiction section or order here!


No comments:

Post a Comment